Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Creases are a good thing.


The sun hung over the horizon casting her beams on the natural red majesty. The car swayed and zoomed changing the way the red dust in the air hit the light, and shifting the glare on the suave Ford Focus window. "Good Riddance" by Green Day played mildly in the background.

The creases in the rock seemed to match the creases in my heart; but in the end, that's what made the red rock a majesty, the creases. They were caused by millions of years of sedimentation, layer by layer, sequence by sequence. Uplift by the formation of a mountain range caused these layers to shift from horizontal to vertical.

It's amazing where you can find inspiration. It came in the warm glow of the sun basking in her evening glory, surprise surprise. It also came in the previews of "The Big Year." Somewhere in the midst of the green "THE FOLLOWING PREVIEW HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR ALL AUDIENCES" screen and the din of flashing pictures I found this quote: "If things were easy to find out, they wouldn't be worth finding." At about 7:17 at the Floodstreet Theater in Ivins, Utah I had a flash of inspiration.

It's not till I write this that I piece it all together; the creases in the rock, the feeling in my heart, the quote of insight in the movie theater. The reason my world isn't perfect; the reason that I can't find answers right this second; the reason it takes years to find true love and to even if you've found him to realize who your true love is; the reason is this: if it didn't take that long--those years, nights, minutes of heart-throb, fear, hopelessness--is because without the pain, the splendor would mean nothing.

Unfortunately, I'm still in the crease-making stage of my journey to timeless beauty. But really, it's ok. Some think the crease-making stage is one of endless torment; that's untrue. The crease-making stage is just an adventure; not one to be endured but to be enjoyed. I swim, I hike, I run, I laugh, I dance, I read, I learn, I eat, I serve, I love. Even in this crease-making stage, my heart is still so able to love.

No comments: