This afternoon, there I was, eating a turkey sandwich with cheddar cheese and crisp spinach on wheat, when they plop down and make their landing like vultures on the kill. Except for vultures don't kill... they eat dead prey. So I guess they were vultures on their way to eat a sickly, dying, final-ridden freshman in the library.
It's not like their rude comments were about me. Not at all. However one of the guys next to me called another man whom he thought was gay a faggot. Not cool. They weren't even talking about me, but I was adversely affected. I felt sympathy towards the poor person they were talking about. It doesn't matter if the person was gay or not, you do not call someone a faggot.
But these are not the only type of comments I hear... It's not even the comments so much as their authors' stuffy, puffed-up attitudes. Maybe the reason I'm so affected by it is that generally the comments are made by upperclassmen--they could eat me alive. And, they have more pride and self-esteem than I.
I do not mean to make the hasty generalization, (thank you freshman writing class), that all upperclassmen and all people that sit in the snack zone of the library are jerks. I just happen to run into most of them there. Most of the people I meet at BYU, especially the freshman people, are kind and soft-hearted and innocent. However there are those few exceptions that irk me.
So... moral of the story?
1. Don't be a jerk
2. If you want to be my friend be friendly, courteous, and don't talk negatively about people behind their back.
3. Don't have an "I'm better than the system" attitude, which a lot of people seem to have around here.
That's it. Be nice. Have some integrity. The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment